Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Beverly Cleary!

95 years old today!  Happy Birthday!

I don't know how elementary schools run today.  My girls aren't quite there yet and I taught in middle and high so those kids were a little bit beyond her, but I don't think it should be possible to get through childhood without Beverly Cleary books!

I of course read the Ramona books but also loved The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Dear Mr. Henshaw.  And I never made the connection until now that many of her books are illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky -- author of the Rapunzel book.  Small world right?

Anyway, her website has all of her titles of course plus resources for parents and educators and a neat interview with Beverly Cleary herself.  If you live in the Portland, Oregon area there is also a Beverly Cleary sculpture garden for children.  Lucky ducks!!

And it's also (according to Ramona Quimby) National Drop Everything and Read Day!  D.E.A.R.  That sounds like a good idea to me, now what to read what to read . . .