Monday, April 25, 2011

Black Bean Brownies

A few weeks back I drove with another woman to the LDS cannery and learned some interesting things about food storage and preparation.  She told me that you can make a batch of brownies with just the mix and a can of black beans and not only does it work, it tastes good!

No way, really?
Really.
Please note -- this is not the best brownie I've ever had.  But it's pretty good, and since my guilt level at eating a whole pan of brownies is significantly diminished (hey, I need the fiber and the protein!), it's a handy little recipe to have.  And super easy.

Drain and rinse 1 can of black beans.  Put the beans back in the can and then fill with water.  Blend in a blender or food processor until smooth.  Mix with 1 brownie mix and bake according to package directions -- maybe a little longer than called for (check with a toothpick).

That's really it.  It's a pretty dense, chewier brownie than usual.  My girls liked them ok -- we'll see if they ask for more later.  That will be the real test.

But a can of black beans and a brownie mix?  That's a great treat that works for shelf-stable food storage!