Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Kane Chronicles Continue

Book 2 of the Kane Chronicles: The Throne of Fire was better than the first book.
I have a couple of theories as to why because it's essentially the same style, Carter and Sadie are still trying to save the world, etc.

But I think that first of all I was able to follow the Egyptian line a little better.  That may have been because I had more familiarity after reading the first book, or it may have been because he did a lot better job explaining things.  And the recap of book one didn't hurt.

Secondly, I felt that the action and plot was more believable.  The first book almost seems to out there to be plausible.  The second has Carter and Sadie as more fallible teenagers and I liked that they didn't always do so great and that they learned about themselves and their powers as they went.

I don't know how many books will be in this series but there are definitely more ahead and I think I'll read them all.  But I actually want to find out what happens to Zia and Walt (side characters) more than Sadie and Carter.  I think I care about them more.

This book waffled between good and attached.  What I want to know is how kids in the middle/high school age range are thinking about it though.