Friday, July 8, 2011

For the Egyptologist in You

My brain has been in slug mode all week and so nothing has been getting done around here.  Believe it or not, even reading!  But I did manage to finish the first in Rick Riordan's new Kane Chronicles:
I think if you liked his Percy Jackson series that this is a safe bet for you as well.  It has the same feel as Percy Jackson: gods and monsters who try to destroy the protagonists every other chapter, an insane amount of time (4 days I think) to defeat the evil god who is planning on taking over and destroying the world, wise-cracking teenagers who do what the adults can't -- you know, that kind of stuff.

I sound more sarcastic than I mean to be I think except that the biggest difference between these and Percy Jackson is the origin of the gods and monsters.  In this case: Egyptian.  So in a way it's a lot more of the same but I've had a harder time with this one, I think mainly because I'm not familiar with the depths of Egyptian history and lore and so it reads a lot more foreign to me.  I had a hard time keeping things straight and clear as I read.  And while I finished the Percy Jackson books and The Lost Olympian in record time, this one (and it's sequel which I'm reading now) has been fine on my side table for before bed reading.

So it's good -- but not tip-your-hat fantastic.
Sorry.