Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To Be Uplifted and Inspired

Read Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project.
The biggest mistake I made with this book was in getting it from the library and not buying it myself.  The entire time I read it, I itched to pick up a pen or a highlighter and go to town underlining, making nice little stars in the margins, and writing my own insights.  Sigh.  Not in a library book.

Like Gretchen, I too had an epiphany of sorts a while back.  I love my children, I have many blessings in my life, I'm doing what I want to be doing -- but I think I could be happier.  That's when I started this blog.  I wanted an outlet to get back into literature.  That's the biggest thing that I miss about teaching after all.  And it's helped -- really -- even if I only have 6 followers and at least 3 of them are related to me (love you all!!!).

But this book.  THIS BOOK!  My head is now swimming with so many things that I want to do that would help enrich my life.  I've already started a few of them.  And I feel better, I really do.  Ok it also helps that my Vitamin D levels are going up (who knew?).  By the way, if you're feeling constantly fatigued -- beyond I-have-two-small-children-that-run-me-ragged fatigued, have your Vitamin D levels checked.  Seriously.

Ok back to the post at hand.

There is also a website for this book, also titled The Happiness Project.  There's a lot going on there but definitely worth checking out, especially if you're not sure about the book.  She also freely offers up a starter kit and her resolutions chart for your use.  Love that.

My favorite things about the book:
1.  Readable.  Her personal experiences were instructive and engaging!
2.  Researched.  But not in a let-me-throw-the-experts-at-you-to-prove-me-point kind of way.  They're almost an afterthought that solidify the point she's making.
3.  She is so flawed.  Even when she is doing her best.  When I read about superwomen it can be discouraging because I don't feel I can be that.  But this, I can do.
4.  Funny.  I smiled and laughed quite a bit actually.

I highly recommend it and will be doing my own happiness -- maybe not a complete project -- but mini-projects.  I'll have to figure out what to call them.