Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Resolution Number Three

Make and Maintain Friendships.

First of all, thank you to those wonderful people who have sent me notes about this blog.  It's kind've nice to know that someone likes it!

On that note, it's been a little difficult here to make close friends -- you know, kindred spirits, as Anne would say.  Everyone is very friendly, but it seems as though they are not so proactive.  My friendships here have been started mainly because I'm doing the calling, inviting, etc.

It's a little frustrating to be honest.

So I'm making another attempt, more social this time (my first attempt -- which actually is going well -- involves kids.  I want something for me too!) to see if I can find that kindred spirit.  

And I don't know why I didn't think of this before!  But the lightbulb went on today so here's the plan:

An open book club!

I love book clubs!  I love talking about books and I've loved doing this blog.  But I also want people who will talk back (no offense).  The problem with traditional book clubs is that maybe I don't like the book or didn't get time to read it that month.  So an open book club could be really simple and flexible:

1.  Read a book that month -- or not -- you could also pick one you've read and loved before.
2.  Bring it and a snack to a book party.
3.  Tell others about your book, learn about some other books you might be interested in and have a fantastic time munching and socializing.
4.  Books could be any kind -- children's, YA, adult fiction, nonfiction, church-related.  You could do a different theme every month or leave it completely open.

What do you think?  It's definitely worth a shot I think!