Thursday, June 9, 2011

Resolution Number One

In The Happiness Project (yes I'm going to blog about it more than once, it was that good) Rubin establishes theme resolutions (my words) for each month.  An area she wants to work on and then a few resolutions that will improve her happiness through that area: marriage, friendship, money, etc.

I don't think I'm going to go that far but definitely some individual resolutions are in order and many of them have been inspired by her.

I think my most favorite thing from The Happiness Project is Rubin's saying "the days are long but the years are short".  How true is that?  I seem to have been so bogged down in long days lately -- always looking for the next thing to make time go by faster.  I know now that part of that is somewhat chronic fatigue that I'm having taken care of, but part of it is also my attitude.  

So my first resolution for my own happiness is to enjoy my children more.  That means that I often think to myself "the days are long but the years are short".  It's really come in handy lately actually.  Of course we still have our moments, but I feel as though I'm appreciating more those that will soon pass.  For example, my one-year-old has been so clingy she screams if I put her down.  I keep telling myself that it's not going to be too much longer before she's too big to carry around AND she won't want to be!  So I enjoy her cuddly self as long as I can (meaning as long as my arms hold out) and then when I do have to put her down (holding child and hot stove = not a good idea), well, she just has to cry.  But this too shall pass.

Anyway, as part of enjoying my children more, today we made Bunny Buns from The Friend magazine.  If you're not LDS, that's a children's magazine published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  And it's fabulous!  But anyway, they turned out really nice!  It's a basic bread dough with a hint of orange (which I love) and a sweet (but light, unless you go heavy with it, mmmmm) glaze.  We had a good time.
This was my little one's first experience "standing on a chair" and she took full advantage.  Can you see how the end of that dough near her is pulled and has a big hole in it?  That would be because I turned around for a second and when I turned back she had the whole end in her mouth!
 And then she needs her rest -- don't worry, I only let my children help (and taste and poke and lay on the food) when it's just for us.  I run a cleaner operation when it's for other people!!

This is sweet to me because it looks like they're working together on making the buns.  They're not, she's just getting her own taste!
And one for me.  My little one loves to feed me.  But I draw the line at raw bread dough.  And certain other delightful offerings that only a 1 year old can give.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the end result.  You cut and twist them into bunny shapes -- it's really easy actually and they were really cute, and tasty.  I've eaten several already and I may have to have another before I go to bed . . . 

But my resolution is working!