Saturday, September 3, 2011

Books That Just Sound Interesting

'Tis the Season of Catalogs!

As the holidays get closer and closer, the catalogs get stranger and stranger.  I laughed out loud several times while looking at Bas Bleu: Bookseller-by-post that came in mail (somehow -- not sure) yesterday and thought some of these titles were worth sharing just for the laugh of it:

Beautiful and Pointless: A Guide to Modern Poetry
Enough said.  There were plenty of modern poems that I only taught because I had the teacher's key to help me figure them out . . . 

The President Is a Sick Man: Wherein the Supposedly Virtuous Grover Cleveland Survives a Secret Surgery at Sea and Villifies the Courageous Newspaperman Who Dared Expose the Truth
Now that's a title!

The Philosopher's Diet: How to Lose Weight and Change the World
Hmmm, does he back up his ideas with research into the size of such people as Aristotle and Plato?

Anyway, none of these will end up under the tree for me, but they did make me laugh.
Happy reading!