Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Poetry Scavenger Hunt for home

Kids love scavenger hunts.  Hey, I love them too!  It's fun to figure out clues and search for treasure or prizes -- very pirate-y.  The poems that I've chosen are accessible to all ages -- not a lot of interpretation is needed to get you to the next location where a clue is hidden.  And all I've done is list the poems with the place where they would take you on a scavenger hunt.  This post would be entirely too long if I included them all.  But leave me a comment if you'd like a copy of them all and I'll send it to you -- or email me at lightbulbsandlemonade at yahoo dot com.

The prize at the end?  That's up to you.  But this is a search to enjoy poetry -- not to analyze -- so it should be something fun.  And poetry related.  Maybe fun school or office supplies (but I'm probably the only one who thinks that's cool . . . ), a field trip somewhere, a poetry picnic lunch (more on that tomorrow), or something musical -- music is poetry (more on that later too).

Ready for the poems?

Desk/office: "Pencils" by Beverly McLoughland
Stairs: "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes
Soccer ball: "Soccer" by Lee Bennett Hopkins
Car: "Windshield Wipers" by Rebecca Kai Dotlich
Eggs in the fridge: "Eggs" by Jack Prelutsky
Piano: "Piano" by D.H. Lawrence
Kitchen or bedroom: "My Papa's Waltz" by Theodore Roethke
Mudroom, foyer, coat closet (wherever you put your hats, coats, shoes): "What is the opposite of hat?" by Richard Wilbur
Dish cupboards: "December Leaves" by Kaye Starbird
Bedroom window: "My Window Screen" by X. J. Kennedy
Game closet or cupboard: "Monopoly" by Alice Schertle
Telephone: "Eletelephony by Laura E. Richards
Toaster: "The Toaster" by William Jay Smith
Remote control: "Channel Changer" by Richard Michelson
Flashlight: "Flashlight" by X.J. Kennedy
Bed: "If a Bad Dream Comes" by Siv Cedering Fox or "Covers" by Nikki Giovanni
Bookcase: "When you Can Read" by Bobbi Katz